Saturday, May 25, 2024

42 Stories Anthology Presents: Christopher David Airiau Interview

 




Christopher David Airiau won the Story of Excellence Award in the Steampunk chapter for 

A BROKEN DOWN AUTOMATON SENSES ITS SAVIORS


BAM: What were pen names you used in the Anthology?


Christopher: T. Christopher David and

David Christopher Urania.


BAM: Which chapters can readers find those stories?


Christopher: Alternate Reality and Apocalyptic.

 

BAM: Where are you located?

Christopher: Alsace, France

 

BAM: Where is your writing space?

Christopher: Standing desk in home office.

 

BAM: Who are some authors you keep returning to? 

Christopher: Iain M. Banks, Octavia Butler, Samuel Delany, Ursula K. Le Guin, N.K. Jemisin, Kim Stanley Robinson, George Saunders.

 

BAM: George Saunders? One of my creative writing teachers in the 2010s was obsessed with his work. Actually, I asked Saunders to be one of the judges for this anthology. Unfortunately, he never replied. Some other well-known authors luckily did. Okay, back to you. Who are some artists you like?

Christopher: Carly A-F, Paul Enami, Holly Jencka, Daniel Locke, Patrick Loveland, Strega Wolf van den Berg, Brandon Yu.

 

BAM: I'll have to look some of them up.  Thanks. What are some foods you like?

Christopher: Une baguette fraîche et chaude, lentilles vertes au saucisses de Morteau, un vieux comté, the Gonzalez family taco recipe, Deep dish pizza 


BAM: For those who do not know, the first one is a type of sausage dish. The second is cheese. Tacos are tacos. The last one is the best kind of pizza on Earth. What about most writers' favorite momentary distraction, drinks?

Christopher: Des vins rouges de Bourgogne and IPA. 

 

BAM: I trust someone in France when it comes to wine, so I'll have to try the first drink you mentioned. What about musical interests? Who do you like?

Christopher: Talking Heads, Janelle Monáe, Parliament, Hot Snakes, Sweeps, Kamasi Washington, Waveshaper

 

BAM: What are some movies you like?

Christopher: Parasite, Au Poste !, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Everything Everywhere All at Once, Memento, Star Trek.

 

BAM: A fellow Trekkie. Nice. Are there any places that inspire creativity from you?

Christopher: La taverne française, the “frisbee lawn” at l’UdS, Secret Flatrock, SOMA, #mothership-game-night, the Lost Bay, on my bike with my favorite co-pilot.

 

BAM: Cool. Speaking of co-pilots, do you have a writer circle?

Christopher: I am currently participating in a ttrpg writing circle, which includes six people over six timezones. Each three weeks, one person submits a work, during which the other writers give feedback and discuss the writing and game mechanics.

 

BAM: TTRPG, for readers unaware, means table-top role-playing game. In this context, you rotate stories. Fascinating. With so many people seeing your work, who do you write to when you picture your reader. Your target audience.

Christopher: Depends on the piece. Often, I am writing for a submission or on commission, so the audience is rather clearly defined in advance.

 

BAM: What's your sidekick-writer drink, coffee or tea or something else?

Christopher: Huge morning filter coffee, and sometimes some Earl Grey in the afternoons.

 

BAM: Some writers have a message for the world. In some cases, they don't even realize this fact. For you, is there something you passionately want the human race to stop doing, which, maybe even in a subtle way, you present to the reader in your stories?

Christopher: All forms of violence against one another and the planet.

 

BAM: Totally agree. Except that I think smokers should be punched in the face for poisoning babies, animals, and the planet. Kind of joking about the violence, kind of not. At any rate, in regard to your style, could you recommend to novice writers the best way to write?

Christopher: Whatever works best for the writer. This is a process of learning the craft that is individual to everyone. Always be wary of folks who tell you they “know the way” to best do anything.

 

BAM: Makes sense. Hey, how do you relax after a long week of writing?

Christopher: HAHAAHAHAHA

 

BAM: Funny. Okay. What's your greatest achievement in writing?

Christopher: My greatest achievement has yet to come! But to date, probably my first full-length Mothership RPG adventure module, Bio-Drones & Cryo-Clones.

 

BAM: Oh. Then, what got you into writing?

Christopher: I’ve always loved making up stories. As the eldest child of four, and frequently the oldest kid in the apartment complex, it sort of became my “job” to make up the games and the stories that went with them. In 4th grade, we had a creative writing assignment, and I don’t think I ever really quit writing weird sci-fi stuff since then.

 

BAM: In that case. Tell me some books you read recently.

Christopher: The Only Good Indians, by Stephen Graham Jones, The Chronicles of Morgaine by C.J. Cherryh, Babel by R.F. Kuang, Classic Traveller by Marc Miller, The Tide World of Mani by Joel Hines.

 

BAM: Well read. Do you play music, or watch anything, too?

Christopher: Instrumental-only music, picked based on vibes. Lots of dark ambience and synthwave, recently.

 

BAM: Is anyone in your family a writer?

Christopher: My ma wrote a book when she was in her early 20s.

 

BAM: Interesting. How about this question: What deceased or living writer do you want to meet?

Christopher: Never meet your heroes, right? 


BAM: Right. Although, I have a feeling Edgar Allan Poe and I would've been friends, as we share a lot of commonalities. We'd've probably complained to each other about our eyebag problem and made an eyebag club.

Christopher: I dunno. It probably would have been grand to have a pint with Iain M. Banks.

 

BAM: Quite an award-winner you named. Banks won, for example, in 1991 Kurd-Laßwitz-Preis for The Bridge. Christopher, what's the greatest writing award you hope to win?

Christopher: I try to focus on the work at hand rather than target lofty goals.


BAM: I see. Who is the author you vehemently hate, and why?

Christopher: Hate is bad for your heart.


BAM: Makes sense. Are any of your friends writers?

Christopher: My great friendships with Justin Tyler Chandler and Jeremy Allan Hawkins have been vital for me to maintain focus on the craft. Chandler has published short fiction, and written two unpublished novels, and Hawkins has published several poetry chapbooks and many poems across the literary sphere. They are both also musicians.

 

BAM: Great to have friends who understand your life. Are you in a writer's group or workshops?

Christopher: In addition to the current game writers workshop, I have been part of the Indiana University Fiction Writer’s Workshop, a co-founder of the Contemporary Anglophone Literature Collective, and founder of the Strasbourg Science Fiction & Fantasty Writer’s Workshop.

 

BAM: Okay. Random question time. What were the most drafts you've written for a story?

Christopher: CALCULATION ERROR: APPROACHING INFINITY.

 

BAM: Relatible. What are your main distractors while writing?

Christopher: Everything. ADHD be hard, yo.

 

BAM: Yeah. Well, on editing, do you edit alone, have a friend read your work, or do you hire a professional editor?

Christopher: Edit alone, have friends or a workshop read over stuff when I can, and I’ve hired pro editors for my game releases.

 

BAM: What about writer's block? How do you overcome it?

Christopher: In most cases, my writer’s block is due to my ADHD inhibiting me from starting. Details and sequencing become overwhelming, and I lose sight of that line between what the character wants and what the story needs.

BAM: Tell me more.

ChristopherThe best way for me to overcome this sort of writer’s block is to change the medium. I leave the computer, or even the home office, and move my thoughts into notebook scribbles or at a café on my markdown machine. These notes tend to be a conversation with myself, an internal debate. I’m not just sitting still and trying to think, my ideas fight each other until there’s a KO or common ground is found. It’s weird, I guess, but it’s much easier to straighten out this mess in a combative manner.


BAM: Care to elaborate?

ChristopherOther times, I get tripped up with large scale settings or fictional sequencing. This is the “worldbuilding” part of speculative fiction. When the groups, planets, whatever get too big for my brain, I spend some time sketching these places—by drawing them, building thought clouds, or a timeline. Even though 99% of this writing never makes it into a story, having a solid foundation makes sf stories sing.

 

BAM: Could you tell me about how you organize writing in your life?

 

Christopher: I have a writing ritual. To start writing, I put on my writing hoody. It’s well over a decade old, ragged, and I am forbidden from wearing it outside the house. I pop on my cans, put my solar lamp, and perform guided mindfulness meditation. Next, I write a page of positive affirmations and focus goals, a step borrowed from Octavia Butler. Last, I pop on some non-vocal mood music and open the file.


BAM: What do you mean?

ChristopherThe extent of the ritual depends on how difficult to the effort to start typing away has been. This process was quite long in the beginning, but through practice I can achieve an adequate level of mindfulness in about 5-10 minutes. Skipping this and the affirmations is also quite common when I’m in a good writing mood.


BAM: Got it. Sticking to your guns.

ChristopherI’m lucky enough to have at least three hours a day to work on my writing, which has mostly been for table-top roleplaying games in the past year.

 

Biography:

Christopher David Airiau holds a Master’s in English Literature from l’Université deStrasbourg, teaches English in France, and designs tabletop role-playing games as 5Million Worlds Press. Their fiction appears in Filmmakers Without Cameras, Unstamatic,and Dead Horse. Find them at chrisairiau.com.

 

Published Works:

Unstamatic, “One Man and No City” and “Torn from the Pages of a Used Android Catalogue: Phoenix”

Filmmakers without Cameras 3, “A Terminal Orbit Homeward”

Dead Horse, “Practice Makes Perfect”

Weirdo Faves of 2023, assorted prose.

 

Social Media:

https://5mwpress.substack.com

https://chrisair.itch.io

https://www.chrisairiau.com

Twitter: @ChrisAiriau

Bluesky: @chrisair.bsky.social

IG: @5mwpress

fb: https://www.facebook.com/5MWPress/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment