Sunday, September 1, 2024

42 Stories Anthology Presents: Interview with Caitlin Cacciatore

 



Special Guest Judge of 

the Outer Space Chapter

 

Video Version



Biography

Caitlin Cacciatore won first prize in Bacopa Literary Review 2020 for the poem “Sacrament,” was long-listed for the international erbacce-prize in 2021, 2022, and 2023, and was nominated for 2024's 'Best of the Net' Anthology with the poem "Still Life with Roses."

 

BAM: Where are you currently located?

Caitlin: Arverne by the Sea, New York City

 


BAM: Where’s your writing space?

Caitlin: My living room desk, surrounded by my wax seals (I keep an extensive correspondence with various pen pals, literary and otherwise), washi tape, my sticker collection, and no less than five open books at any given time.

 

BAM: Do you have a writer circle?

Caitlin: I have been fortunate to have many mentors and literary friends who uplift me when times are tumultuous, critique my work when I ask, and provide advice and pass along their wisdom if ever I find myself at a crossroads. The constellation of writers I surround myself with includes authors in all stages of their careers and at all levels of success, from those who are just beginning to make a name for themselves to people who are internationally recognized for their efforts in the literary world. We share a thirst for excellence, a deep and enduring love of the English language, and a wish to leave our mark upon the literary canon. All the writers I keep company with are shining jewels, guiding lights by which I might set my compass. Whenever I think of them, I am overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude for everyone who believed in me, even when I didn’t quite believe in myself.

 

BAM: You mentioned individuals who are recognized for their effort. Well, who do you write to when you picture your reader, or who is your target audience?

Caitlin: I picture my target audience as anyone who is lonely or bereaved, heartbroken and in need of a way by which to feel truly seen. I suppose that in some ways, I am still writing for the lonely little girl inside of myself. I picture my reader curled around my book with a steaming cup of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, or apple cider, with the wind howling outside, a blizzard rolling in from the mountains, but she is safe and warm and secure. Perhaps she has a dog or a cat nestled in the space between her legs, and another in her lap. I picture someone who will take great comfort from my words – who will be so engaged in my story that the wind will cease, and the snow will stop and when she looks up from my book, the storm will have passed.

  

BAM: Very poetic. Tell me, what’s the best way to write?

Caitlin: The best – although far from the only – way to write is passionately. Write like your life depends on it, or better yet, write like your legacy rides upon it. Write when you’re not supposed to be writing. (Please do not attempt this advice in a vehicle or vessel you are commanding.) Write as if you’re the only one in the entire universe who can tell this story – because chances are that no one else in the world can tell your story in the vibrant detail it deserves. No matter when or why or what or even how much you write, remember that your words hold weight: the power of creation is a heady one to wield, so channel your writing – all that fire, all that fury – into something that makes you feel alive.

 

BAM: I can relate. So, Caitlin, when did you realize you liked writing?

Caitlin: The moment I fully understood the magic and the alchemy of putting words together on a page to form sentences, paragraphs, and entire stories that were more than the sum of their individual parts, I was hooked. Words fascinate me; they always have. I am entranced by the way they come together and by their ability to tease apart the deeper meaning of life. I wrote my first book at the age of 3 or 4, dictated to my wonderful mom and diligently bound by her. We still have it.

 

BAM: Sounds like you have a wonderful and supportive mother. Speaking of inspiration, what inspires you to write?

Caitlin: Writing is central to my identity. At heart, I’m a poet. At the bottom of the hour, at the end of the day, I know I can turn to the keyboard and find solace. I write because I have so many stories to tell, so many I fear that some of them will go untold.

 

BAM: What do you mean?

Caitlin: For me, writing is an act of seeking – I am always in search of great and lasting truths to tell in my poetry: messages that are vital and speak to the human condition today, tomorrow, and – if we are so fortunate – a thousand years from now. What is central to our humanity has not changed since the rise of literature and the beginning of the written record. There are universal truths about what it means to be human. I often take ancient themes and motifs off the shelf and dust them off for generations to come. I recognize how difficult it is to walk the line between being fresh, new and innovative – and also pay homage to the literary and cultural heritages of the world. My work draws heavily upon themes of classical antiquity.

 

BAM: What else?

Caitlin: I take great pleasure in finding precise words, a pithy turn of phrase, a beautiful new metaphor, an unexpected motif. I write to be surprised – I’m a discovery writer, after all. 

 

BAM: Could you tell me more about that discovery?

Caitlin: Ultimately, I write as an act of rebellion – for all of my foremothers who grew up in a world where women’s education and literacy were limited. My ancestors were mostly self-educated. I come from a long line of brave, brilliant women. In Italian, they call us strega. I write for the same reason my great-great-grandmother ran a black market for medicine in fascist Italy, and for the same reason her husband wore a yarmulke in solidarity with the Jewish population during WWII.

 

BAM: Very brave.

Caitlin: I also write for my grandmother – who had all the best stories and who was a skilled orator both in English and Italian yet lacked the education to write them all down.

  

BAM: I'd love to read some of that work. On that note, tell me about your writing goals.

Caitlin: I’m working on editing a climate fiction novel about the world’s last library, set 250 years in a future very much informed by the book bannings of today. My goal is to be a successful novelist – to move people with my stories and make a living writing.

 

BAM: Really? How so?

Caitlin: I break my more short-term writing goals into weekly units. I set ambitious goals, so I don’t always meet word-count or page-count goals – but I’ve still beaten my annual word-count total three years in a row.

 

BAM: What are you up to now?

Caitlin: My current writing projects include compiling, rearranging, and editing various chapbooks – one on romantic themes, one addressing ecological themes; another relatively obscure one about obols. I am trying to find an agent for my poetry and have recently started sending out queries. I’ve gotten into songwriting and am collaborating with a friend who is a brilliant, award-winning pianist to put music to our first single.

 


BAM: Wow. And as for your current goals?

Caitlin: My loftier goals include becoming a Poet Laureate, whether of my state or of the nation – and when I am older, perhaps joining those vaulted ranks of Nobel Prize Winners in Literature.

 

BAM: Thank you. 

 

Caitlin's Social Media

Author Website 

Poetry:

Cli-Fi” 

Still Life with Roses” 

“The Archer,” “The Names of Love," and “Sweet Summertime” https://www.samjokomagazine.com/the-archer

Blizzard” 

Transit” 

Latin Roots” 

Articles:

The Needs of the Few: Queering the Canon” 

The Case Against Fast Fashion: My Rebel Wardrobe” 

 

Interviews


 

No comments:

Post a Comment