Wednesday, July 24, 2024

42 Stories Anthology Presents: Gania Barlow Interview

 

 

Gania Barlow won the Runner up Award Winner in the Escape chapter for

IN WHICH GOD’S SENSE OF HUMOR IS DISPLAYED

                                                                                                                                                                                                 

 


Biography

Gania Barlow teaches English in Michigan. Her work has been published in venues like AGNI, Fourteen Hills, Smokelong Quarterly, and Saints & Sinners and has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize, awarded Runner-Up for the Calvino Prize, and adapted for the stage.

 

BAM: Where are you, Gania?

Gania: Ferndale, Michigan.

 

BAM: Hope your summers aren’t too hot. Where is your writing space?

Gania: Couch with a paper notebook for getting started, then desk or couch & computer later.

 

BAM: Good to move around. First some icebreaker questions. What are some movies you like?

Gania: The 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice FOREVER


BAM: Pride and Prejudice is a classic. What are some places that have impacted your writing?

Gania: Twin Lakes, Mammoth, in California, which is not the lake pictured in my picture.

 


BAM: Noted. I took the liberty of doing a web search of Twin Lakes. Beautiful view. Definitely somewhere I’ll visit if time ever allows. Let’s talk about books. What are some book titles you’ve read recently?

Gania: Severance by Ling Ma, The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin, Memorial by Alice Oswald.

 

BAM: The City We Became was developed from Jemisin’s short story, The City Born Great. I love how she built basically a story outline for a novel from her short story. The benefit of short stories, even forty-two word ones is that you can write them fast between distractions. Speaking of which, what are some of your distractors?

Gania: My son, my job, TV.

 

BAM: So, life. Huh? Tell me then, what inspires you so that you’re able to finally sit and write on your couch?

Gania: I’m inspired by existing stories and myths—my primary writing mode is creative retelling. This probably goes back to the childhood “novels” I wrote (or rather, started), which were mainly thinly veiled rip-offs of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, but now I’ve made a virtue of it (I hope?). I especially like to return to Greek myths and the medieval stories I studied in my PhD, but I also have a story that retells a Bob Dylan song.

 

BAM: Definitely interested in reading that Bob Dylan-inspired story. On the note of your stories, why don’t you tell me about story outline process?

Gania: I don’t typically outline until later drafts. I usually start just basically free writing on a moment or character that is calling to me, and write around things in that way, waiting to see what falls out of my pen that I wasn’t expecting and that can show me where the story needs to go, or what it’s really about. Then once I’ve got a blob of that rough material, I’ll try to find a structure for it through a combo of plot and rhythm.

 

Social Media Links

https://agnionline.bu.edu/fiction/clytemnestra/

https://www.smokelong.com/stories/tanglewood/

No comments:

Post a Comment