Saturday, July 2, 2016

INSPIRATIONAL AUTHORS

Here's a list of authors who have inspired me. Which ones draw your attention?

Maya Angelou

Her memoirs

Richard Bach

Illusions: Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Elizabeth Cary The Lady Falkland

The Tragedy of Mariam

Bryce Courtenay

The Power of One

Emily Dickinson

Poems

William Golding

Lord of the Flies

Joseph Heller

Catch-22

Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird

George RR Martin

A Song of Ice and Fire series

Edgar Allan Poe

All of his works and we share the same birthday.

William Freakin’ Shakespeare

Need I repeat, William Freakin’ Shakespeare? Side note, Elizabeth Cary inspired him.

R.L. Stine

Goosebumps were the first books I read.

Jonathan Swift

A Modest Proposal

J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Sun Tzu

The Art of War

Unknown Author (Beowulf)

Although seeing the films, I’d never read the books. Then I stumbled upon it when my English professor at the University of Houston, John McNamara, who translated the novel made the book a required reading. Now it’s one of my favorite tales.

John Updike

The Lottery

Kurt Vonnegut

Slaughterhouse-Five. Honestly, I only kind of liked the book. The main character’s craziness is what appeals to me. There’s no narrator like him.

Alice Walker

The Color Purple

Edward Lewis Wallant

The Pawnbroker

Margery Williams

The Velveteen Rabbit. Inspired my first story: The Golden Bunny.